THE LATER MUGHALS
Here a short and brief description on the Later Mughals. They were the Mughal rulers who had not a very significant contribution or their power was declined due to the on growing suzerainty of then East India Company. The Mughals empire after Aurangzeb got collapsed. These rulers could not sustain their empire and it broken down leading to their end.
List of the Later Mughals
Bahadur Shah I(1707-1712 AD)
- He was the successor of Aurangzeb.
- Bahadur Shah I was a kind hearted and tolerant king. He was also very friendly and pacific in nature.
- His original name was Muazzam and also has the title of Shah Alam I.
Jahandar Shah (1712-1713 AD)
- Jahandar Shah Ascended the throne with the help of Zulfikar Khan.
- He maintained a friendly relation with the Jats, Rajputs.
- Abolished the Jijya tax imposed on the non Muslims.
- He tried to improve the Zamindari system by removing the Jagirs.
Farruksiyar (1713-1719 AD)
- Farruksiyar was a incompetent ruler of later Mughals.
- He was incapable of ruling independently. During his reign Sayyid brothers(Syed Abdullah Khan and Syed Hussain Ali Khan) emerged. They helped him sustain his position over the throne of Delhi.
Muhammad Shah (1719-1748 AD)
- He acted as Puppet King under the influence of Sayyid brothers.
- Nadir Shah invaded India in 1738 AD during his reign and took over the Peacock throne and the Kohinoor Diamond.
- Ahmed Shah Abdali also invaded India in 1747 AD during his reign.
Ahmed Shah (1748-1754 AD)
- During his reign Ahmed Shah Abdali invaded India and Ahmed Shah lost control over Punjab and Multan.
Alamgir II (1754-1759 AD)
- He was weak king among the later Mughals.
- Ahmed Shah Abdali oocupied Delhi and later Delhi was taken over by Maratha.
- He fought the battle of Plassey in 1757.
Shah Alam II (1759-1806 AD)
- Shah Alam II was defeated in battle of Buxar in 1764 by British.
- He was a puppet king under the suzerainty of EIC and the Marathas.
Akbar II (1806-1837 AD)
- His other name was Akbar Shah II.
- Akbar II was a pensioner under the British Rule.
- He gave the title Raja to Rammohan Roy.
Bahadur Shah Zafar (1837-1857 AD)
- Bahadur Shah Zafar was the last Mughal emperor.
- He participated in the revolt of 1857.
- After that he exiled to Ranggon (in Burma) after supression of the revolt 1857 .