GIST OF MEDIEVAL INDIA AT A GLANCE
Medieval Indian history is considered from the midst of 8th century till the arrival of the Europeans. In this period, we will study in detail about different Indian rajput dynasties such as Pala, Pratihara and Rashtrakutas, Delhi Sultanate and the Mughal Empire. When the great kings of different Hindu dynasties became weaker the foreign invaders had an eye on wealth and property of India and invaded India several times.
Medieval history of India has a great contributed towards the development of present-day India. During this period, India had developed a lot in the different fields such as building art, painting, religion, language and literature. Therefore, study of the Indian history most: the medieval part is very important .
INVASION OF INDIA
– In 712 AD, Mohd Bin Qasim Invaded India and conquered Sindh Area.
-Sultan Mahmud of Ghzni attacked 17 times to India. On most of his expeditions he destroyed most of the rich temples of the Hindu culture. In 1025 AD, He raided the most celebrated temple of Somnath near Kathiawar looted a lot of gold and treasures to his country.
– In 1191 AD, Mohammad Ghori invaded India and fought a war with Prithviraj Chauhan at Tarain(1st Battle Of Tarain) and was defeated.
Again in 1192, Ghori attacked Prithviraj Chauhan and defeated him in the 2nd Battle Of Tarain.by thiws wayt he led the foundation of the Muslim dominion in India and then started the Delhi Sultanate.
The Ilbari dynasty was the first dynasty of the Delhi Sultanate. Other names of this dynasty are Gulam dynasty or Mamluk dynasty. But it is wrong to call this dynasty as slave dynasty, because only three of the nine rulers of this dynasty, Qutbuddin Aibak, Iltutmish and Balban belong to this group. Qutubuddin Aibak was the founder of this dynasty and was a slave in his early life, and later due to his ability he was declared as the first sultan of delhi by his master Mohd ghori.
(a) Qutub-ud-in Aibak(1206-1210AD)
-He was the founder of this dynasty.
-This dynasy is otherwise known as the Ilbari dynasty.
– Qutub-ud-in Aibak led the foundation of the Qutub Minar.
-Titled as Lal baksh because of his generosity.
– Aibak also built the Adhadin ki Jhopra at Ajmer.
– He died while playing Polo.
– He made a group of 40 Turkish noble known as turkan-e-Chahalgani or Chalisha in order to confront the attack of the Mongols.
– Iltutmish started a system known as the Ikta system.
-Finished the Qutub Minar.
-He introduced the silver coins known as the Silver tanka and copper coins known as the Copper jital.
(c) Razia Sultan(1236-1240AD):
– She is the first and the last Muslim ruler of the Medieval India.
-As a women she faced a lot of rebellion from the nobles of the Muslim.
– He disregarded the Purdah system. She married Atunia (Governor of Bhatinda).
– Bahram Shah, son of Iltutmish killed her.
(d) Balban(1266-1286 AD):
– He was a very powerful king of this dynasty and made many difference in the sultanate.
-declared that king was the deputy of God(Niyabat-e- khudai).
– He also declared that king is the shadow of the god (Zil-e-ilahi). Hence, introduces the practices of Sijdah and paibos.